Tuesday 5 June 2012

Jubilee 'Madness'



Right confession time... I’ve never been a big fan of the Monarchy, the members of the royal family themselves I don’t have any particular issue with, I generally have a lot of respect for them and certainly wouldn’t want to swap places! What I have issue with is living in a so called democratic country that has an unelected head who ‘technically’ has power over and above the elected parliament (although I realise the Queen chooses not to use that power). That is my main beef but there are other things too... I’m not even going to go into the link with Church (of England) and State or the arrogance of headship over countries and territories across the world as part of the so called ‘commonwealth’! Confession over – please forgive me!

Having said the above the unfolding Diamond Jubilee celebrations this weekend have led me to reflect a little and perhaps re-think a little. My respect for the Queen has certainly increased and her ability to unite people in these lands is certainly a cause for celebration. The Jubilee celebrations certainly seems to have given a positive vibe to Britain and brought people together for picnics, parties not to mention TV viewing too. As a Christian I recognise the place of the Queen’s faith and how that has sustained her. No doubt today’s service of thanksgiving will be particularly important and memorable for her, even if for most of the nation the flotilla and concert might be more memorable. 

The concert at Buckingham palace was surprisingly the thing that made me think the most; there were some real musical highlights but it was Madness’ performance as well as the Gary Barlow/Andrew Lloyd Webber ‘Sing’ performance that got me thinking.... Madness signing ‘Our House’ on the roof of Buckingham palace certainly was laced with irony and, for me, a prophetic edge (it reminded me of old testament prophets who would have a prophetic action like laying on their side for days on end or wearing an animals yoke). To see these tiny dots on the top of the grand building then seeing the projection of different ‘British houses’ onto the front of the palace was really powerful. This home of the Queen became a huge block of flats, no doubt housing for hundreds if not thousands of people. Or the terraced road of perhaps an ex-mining time where job prospects are still so fragile if not none existent. The music and video just made me stop and think.  The epic production of ‘Sing’ was another important moment for me, having watched the documentary of Gary Barlow travelling the commonwealth (well parts of it) it wasn’t really a surprise to see those he’d met on his travels. But what must it have been like for the ‘Slum’ drummers – flown from their home in the slums to ‘entertain the Queen and the British’ – can that really be right? Can we celebrate with them when even their basic needs of adequate housing are not met? A question Sarah and I keep asking is ‘who is paying for all this?’It is right to celebrate, its right to give thanks but where is the place for remembering others?

‘It’s hard to celebrate when my brother or sister is suffering.’

I’m not going too far with this further reflection but it seems to me there are links with the Queen and people’s perceptions of God – certainly this ‘distant figure we only really know a little about but occasional catch glimpses of’ is a statement some people might use for either the Queen or God. My reflection of ‘Our House’ on the palace made me think how the Queen could change the fact much of the palace isn’t lived in and could help those like the slum drummers but she chooses not to – for many this is like God who is ‘non interventionist’. As this is very much a personal reflection I don’t mind reflecting that at times I struggle with the idea of an interventionist God (let me qualify that!) I don’t believe God gets involved in changing little things in our world (regularly) although I know personally that God does change things and that prayer does make a difference (although I think God often works within us rather than directly in the wider world). I believe too that God does get very involved in the world through the lives of people and most importantly for me in the life of Jesus who was such a direct intervention of Godself! But with the Queen and God we somehow don’t want them to intervene in the world (or maybe we shouldn’t) because freedom would be infringed. If God intervened in every situation then what would freedom be? I wonder what we want from the Queen or from God? 

(I’m not going to develop my thinking further at this point and know massive holes can be picked into it. What I want to say though is, I don’t actually believe God is like the Queen and our relationship with God can be far more intimate, our knowledge and understanding of God will always be extremely partial.)

So Queen thanks for the celebrations but can we try and remember those who can’t celebrate and can we all try and make a little more difference in our world?

No comments:

Post a Comment