Tuesday 26 June 2012

More than just solace at Solas

 Having been to Greenbelt for too many years to remember it was with some excitement and wonder that we set off at the end of last week to head north to Scotland. We were heading to Greenbelt's new younger sister festival Solas. We really weren't sure what to expect, Sarah reflected that 'it was a like a wee Greenbelt Festival with less cues, less walking, more midges, more mud and an equally inspiring and chilled atmosphere'. It did feel like we were able to actually engage with more of the festival (even though there was a lot less to engage with)! 

I probably got to more talks than I managed last year at Greenbelt with input from John Bell, Jonny Baker, see change life coaching and a session on the Enneagram to name a few.... There was some interesting performances/workshops and some great music too from the likes of Ricky Ross and the Imagineers. A moving and fun 'integrated' dance performance/workshop by Indepen-dance really got the kids going! Sunday worship was simple yet powerful, lovely to have unaccompanied singing  (well some percussion including a fascinating 'Hang' drum which seemed like a modern take on steel drums!) wheelbarrows full of compost and a reflection by John bell who among other gems suggested that the purpose of creation was to draw us in worship of its creator (which seemed to strike a cord with my blog!)



A session on rediscovering your calling, your path, your possibility used Mary Oliver's poem:

The Summer Day:
Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from New and Selected Poems, 1992
Beacon Press, Boston, MA
Copyright 1992 by Mary Oliver.
see:change coaching for life

The poem and the session leader encouraged us to reflect on where we are with our lives and gave encouragement to reconnect with some of the heart of what we/I felt/feel called to. 

The session on the enneagram was an great reminder of the place of our personality. It helped me to realise how much I have not been healthily working from my 'natural position' but often going to my 'stress position' which obviously isn't good! (If that doesn't make sense It's probably best just to skip on or read some stuff about the Enneagram its interesting stuff!) I do feel so less stressed and pressured at the moment not that surprising given I'm on sabbatical!

Lots of gems or pearls from a short weekend in Scotland (and I haven't mentioned the scenery, the friendliness of the people, the diversion through the lake district... or the toilets?!) 
My hope and prayer is that I can carry the gems and pearls of great price of this time on my onward journey and pilgrimage. There is lots still ahead in these coming couple of months but already I feel my soul lifted and my a fire being rekindled within me and Solas has certainly been a highlight and maybe a new feature on my annual calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment