Wednesday 18 July 2012

Death.. the other side

Death... the other side
Part of the natural created order we live with is the cycle of life and death, we tend however to focus on the life bit (understandably). In Western Europe we try and ignore or at least not talk about death and I think our life and living is actually the poorer of it. 

As part of my sabbatical plans I had the idea of spending some time with some funeral directors, a large part of my work/ministry has been dealing with death but only really one aspect of it and certainly one side of preparation for funerals.... So today I've spent the day with a local independent funeral director company (not that many of them left, most are now part of big companies even if still trading under a 'family name'!) I've spent the day seeing the other side - not the eternal mystery of the life after this one but the other side of preparing to say farewell to those we have loved and the care of the final physical remains; our human bodies.

So today I've been with the dead in a very real sense, observing and in small ways assisting in the care and preparation for viewing/saying farewell and cremation (along with all the practicalities that go with the business - I didn't get put to work washing the cars!). I want briefly to pay tribute to the care and respect that is shown to those who are deceased. Having said that there are some aspects of death that are not dignified or pleasant (don't worry I'm not going into detail!) and if ever you meet a funeral director you will very likely discover a wicked sense of humour that helps them cope with these things. What I took particular note of today was the naturalness and ease with which the staff undertook their tasks. Death is naturally an important and close part of the their life but the reality is that it is for all of us, we just don't choose to admit it most of the time.

Some of the most moving, challenging and uplifting funerals I have had the privilege to share in have been from the Afro-Caribbean community, a community who seem to have a far healthier and natural understanding of the cycle of life and death. Death is something that is marked with great celebration and on the whole embraced. I'm not looking forward to dying, not many people are but my faith gives hope for life beyond this one and the knowledge that from death comes new life. I understand deep down that death is a natural process and nothing will stop that, I wonder if we embrace that more fully how much more we can live in the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment