Wednesday 22 August 2012

Iona - A Thin Place



I have recently returned from an amazing visit to the beautiful Island of Iona. Iona is located off the western edge of Mull and getting to it is an experience in itself! I have visited Iona twice before, both occasions becoming very important moments on my faith journey. This time we went as a whole family and travelling so far took some planning and organising, in order to get train and ferry connections it also meant a stop over in Glasgow (see previous blog post). Finally we arrived on the Island where we were welcomed by members of the resident community who live and work in the Abbey and MacLeod centre which are run by the Iona community. 


The founder of the Iona community George MacLeod described Iona as a 'thin place where only a tissue paper separates the material from the spiritual'. When I first visited the Island, some twenty years ago, I didn't really believe that any particular place was 'more spiritual' than any other (and in many ways I still don't) however when I first stepped foot onto the Island something felt different - there was certainly a sense of peace which was overwhelming and a feeling that God was especially close. The Celtic description of 'thin places' is something I find helpful because for me it describes that sense in which there can be places where we can connect with God more easily (I'm still not sure I believe that a place in and of themselves are any different though). 



For me what makes Iona so special is not just its stunning natural beauty or its historical significance (its the place St Columba arrived marking the spreading of Christianity to many parts of the UK and the final resting place for many ancient rulers including Macbeth!) nor is it simply about the ongoing life or prayer on the site over so may years.These are important but for me what makes it so 'thin' is what is continued to be created by the life and work of the Iona community, where work/prayer & life are held so closely together. The welcome and hospitality are central to that sense in which its possible to tap into the presence of God but unlike many retreat centres or religious communities the focus for those who go to stay at the Abbey or 'Mac' Centre is about forming community for the time you are there. On Iona you are not a 'visitor' or 'guest' in the life and work of the Abbey but are centrally part of its community. Those who come to Iona for a 'holiday' are in for a shock for there aren't people there to serve you ... well there are but at times you are expected to be one who serves too. The natural pattern of work, prayer, space, sharing are part of that sense of being community for that brief time. Iona for me is about the holistic nature of faith and life which I think plays into the 'thinness of the place'.

It has led me to think how I 'carry thinness' or help to create 'thin spaces' for others. Its led me to consider how my life/work/prayer can be more holistic and what affect my faith has on all my life.

There is so much more I could and (maybe will say) but for now a Celtic blessing:
Deep peace of the running wave to you,
of the flowing air to you,
of the quiet air to you,
of the shining stars to you,
of the son of Peace to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment